What is Plone?
By definition a content management system (CMS) is the collection of procedures used to manage work flow in a collaborative environment. These procedures can be manual or computer-based. The procedures are designed to:
- Allow for a large number of people to contribute to and share stored data
- Control access to data, based on user roles. User roles define what information each user can view or edit
- Aid in easy storage and retrieval of data
- Reduce repetitive duplicate input
- Improve the ease of report writing
- Improve communication between users
In a CMS, data can be defined as nearly anything - documents, movies, pictures, phone numbers, scientific data, etc. CMSs are frequently used for storing, controlling, revising, semantically enriching, and publishing documentation.
Plone is a free and open source content management system built on top of the Zope application server. In principle, Plone can be used for any kind of website, including blogs, internet sites, webshops and internal websites. It is also well positioned to be used as a document publishing system and groupware collaboration tool. The strengths of Plone are its flexible and adaptable workflow, very good security, extensibility, high usability and flexibility.
Plone is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and is designed to be extensible. Major development is conducted periodically during special meetings called Plone Sprints. Additional functionality is added to Plone with Products, which may be distributed through the Plone website or otherwise. The Plone Foundation owns and protects all copyrights and trademarks. Plone also has legal backing from the council of the Software Freedom Law Center.
If any of these apply to you, Plone will make your life easier:
- I want to add/edit/delete content to my website or Intranet freely, quickly and without involvement of a 'web designer'
- I want in-depth indexing of my site's content without hiring an SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) service provider.
- I want to extend my website with additional functionality
- Plone has a community of products that can extent a website's use, purpose and functionality
- Or WebTide can custom-develop any required application within Plone for you, to your exact specification, at high quality and professional support.
- Plone is great for out-of-the-box.
- Plone is regularly updated with great features, see more details about the latest release, Plone 4.
- International: http://plone.org/foundation
- South Africa: PloneSA - http://groups.google.com/group/plonesa